No 1, February 2012
We have moved the project forward over the last three months:
- After bidding and bid evaluation, we have appointed Suttle Projects of Poole as the contractor. They have been to site with the Environmental Agency (EA) and agreed in principle the way forward. Suttle were waiting historical data on the weir from the EA, giving detailed survey data, a few weeks ago. The current plan is to undertake the physical repair works in July / August 2012.
- Discussions are in hand with Suttle and the EA on a two stage approach to the work. Part one being enough to secure the weir, and be within the current amount of money available. Part two being additional strenghtening to prolong the life of the weir, and not have to remobilise the contractor. The decision on whether part two will go ahead will be taken as late as possible, then knowing our funding position.
- Suttle and the EA are discussing the details of the site protection / preparation needed to minimise environmental impact during the works. There is to be a site meeting in the next couple of weeks to map out the detail of this and to initiate local action.
- We have initiated another round of fund raising, to raise the short fall required for part two of the works. Some applications have been made and the details of others are being gathered. The local fund raising events continue, with Charles Hazlewood giving his time for an event just before Christmas, this generated local press interest as well as raising over £1,000. A Burns Night was held last week. The local community members are still sending small donations by cheque. A communication giving news and saying thank you was posted in the local community areas. An all village meeting with presentation is planned for early April 2012.
- Notification of the award by Viridor Credits gratefully received, ENTRUST application went in, was registered and a signed copy returned.
- The Lydford Weir Company is now registered with companies house, has its own bank account, and the application to be registered as a charity is submitted.
- A web page; www.lydfordweir.org.uk has been created, and is being constantly updated and developed.
- The monthly steering group meetings continue, with smaller task specific meetings occurring more frequently. It is intended that photographs of work, and monthly meeting notes, be posted on the new lydfordweir web site. Monthly reports are given to the Lydford Parish Council.