Weir History

The earliest currently known records on this area are from the Anglo Saxon Chronicles; Lulla, Handmaiden to the Bishop of Glastonbury was gifted land at Lydford and elsewhere, in about 750AD.

When the original weir was built across the river Brue is not yet know, but it is known that St Dunstan had work undertaken on the river, in the local area, arround 950AD.

The earliest currently known record of the weir and leat is in the Doomsday Book of 1086 where a mill in Lydford is recorded.

The current ‘King o Mill’, or as it was refered to at the time Kingham Mill, fed by the leat from the weir, was built arround 1600. The mill having the rights to the water flow and maintenance of this water flow.

In 1840 the area was owned by the Coulston Family, and Reverend Coulston rebuilt the church by the weir, the bridge just upstream of the weir and the nearby rectory, he probably also paid for the weir repair at that time.

In the 1930’s the Rivers Authority had the weir repaired, and after a partial collpase in the mid 1960’s they had the eastern half of the weir rebuilt, in concrete.

Thus it looks as though the weir needs substantial repair approximately every 50 years.

The Lydford community is continuing with research into the histoy of the weir and surrounding area, and more will be added to this note as it becomes available.